The History of Kyoto University's Uji Campus

 Kyoto University's Uji campus is located on the right bank of the Uji River, about 17km southeast of the main campus. In old times, the Uji River and Ogura Pond (being reclaimed in 1941) joined together at this point, and thus this was an important point for water and land traffic. Now it is a heritage attraction, with many old temples and shrines and old tombs in the neighborhood. Okaya-tsu, which is adjacent to the Uji campus, was, a long time ago, an important port where ships from home and abroad visited. The culture and building materials associated with the nearby Oubakusan-Manpukuji Temple landed at this port as well. In the Heian Period, it was prosperous as a villa place for aristocrats from the central government; it was and is also famous as a tea-growing district. The place-name "Gokasho" was named for "Gokasho", the domain of the Konoe family.
 In 1872, a powder storage warehouse was built in the backyard of the Oubakusan-Manpukuji temple, and then in 1896, a powder plant was built in the area covering the present Uji campus. After the Second World War, this was under the control of the Allied Occupation forces, and then cultural institutions, a hospital, and athletic facilities, etc., associated with Kyoto University were built one by one.

   Development of the Uji campus

In April 1947
The Wood Research Institute started its operations at the place of the present Uji campus.
In May 1949
Kyoto University's Uji branch campus was established under the new University system. A part of liberal arts course (First year grade) was taught (ended by the integration in 1961).
In 1961
・The Disaster Prevention Research Institute, the Engineering Department's Ionospheric Research Laboratory, and a part of the Department of Nuclear Engineering started their operations at the Uji campus.
・The National Training Institute for Engineering Teachers attached to Kyoto University was established at the Uji campus (ended in June 1969).

   Expansion and Integration

From 1966 through 1969
Under the plan to integrate natural science research institutes of Kyoto University with the Uji campus, five institutes (the Institute for Chemical Research, the Institute of Engineering, the Wood Research Institute, the Research Institute for Food Science, and the Disaster Prevention Research Institute) moved to the Uji campus.  Furthermore, the Engineering Department's Ionospheric Research Laboratory, the Automation Research Laboratory, the Ultra High Temperature Plasma Research Laboratory, and a part of the Aeronautical Engineering Department's Testing Rooms moved to the Uji campus.
In April 1971
The Institute of Atomic Energy was established (the Institute of Engineering was reorganized and expanded).
In May 1976
The Plasma Physics Laboratory was established (the Engineering Department’s Ultra High Temperature Plasma Research Laboratory was reorganized and expanded).
In April 1981
The Radio Atmospheric Science Center (Collaborative Research by Opening its Doors to Domestic Researchers) was established (The Engineering Department's Ionospheric Research Laboratory was reorganized and expanded).
In April 1987
The Division System was introduced to the Institute for Chemical Research (19 sections [3 research sections out of them were Divisions] and 2 affiliated institutes).
In May 1989
The Integrated Media Environmental Laboratory was established (the Automation Research Laboratory was reorganized) (ended in March 1997).
In June 1990
The Research Institute for Theoretical Physics, Hiroshima University was integrated and upgraded, and it started its operations at the Uji campus composing 4 research sections of the Yukawa Institute for Theoretical Physics of Kyoto University. (moved out in September 1995)
In April 1991
The Wood Research Institute (3 Divisions and 1 visiting researcher section) was established (the Wood Research Institute was reorganized and expanded).
In April 1992
The Institute for Chemical Research was reorganized (9 research divisions and 2 affiliated institutes).
In April 1995
The Research Institute for Food Science was reorganized into the Division System (3 research divisions).
In May 1996
・The Institute of Advanced Energy was established (the Institute of Atomic Energy and the Plasma Physics Laboratory were integrated and reorganized).
・The Disaster Prevention Research Institute was reorganized into the Division System (5 research divisions and 5 affiliated institutes) and became the affiliated institutes of the Collaborative Research by Opening its Doors to Domestic Researchers.
In April 2000
・The Radio Science Center for Space and Atmosphere (Collaborative Research by Opening its Doors to Domestic Researchers) was established (the Radio Atmospheric Science Center was reorganized and expanded).
・Respective administration offices at the Uji campus were integrated into the Uji Administration Office.
In April 2001
The Research Institute for Food Science was integrated into the Graduate School of Agriculture.
In April 2002
The Research Center for Low Temperature and Material Science started its operations at the Uji campus.
In April 2003
The International Research Center for Elements Science was established in the Institute for Chemical Research (9 Divisions and 3 affiliated institutes).

  After the incorporation of
            national universities


In April 2004
・Kyoto University, National University corporation, was established.
・The Institute for Chemical Research was reorganized into 5 research systems and 3 centers (31 areas of study and 5 fields for visiting researcher).  
・Research Institute for Sustainable Humanosphere was established (the Wood Research Institute and the Radio Science Center for Space and Atmosphere were integrated and reorganized).
In April 2005
・The Research Institute for Sustainable Humanosphere became the affiliated research institute of the Collaborative Research by Opening its Doors to Domestic Researchers.
・The Disaster Prevention Research Institute was reorganized into 5 research sections and 6 research centers affiliated with 4 research groups.
・The Uji facility for science & engineering and agriculture field of study of the International Innovation Center started its operations (ended in March 2010).
In April 2006
The Institute of Sustainability Science started its operations.
In July 2006
The Pioneering Research Unit for Next Generation (Special coordination funds for promoting science and technology [Initiative for the Promotion of Young Scientists’ independent Research] program) started its operations.
In July 2007
The Innovation Collaboration Center was established (the International Innovation Center was reorganized and expanded).
In April 2008
The Unit for Synergetic Studies of Space started its operations.
In June 2009
The Institute for Chemical Research, the Research Institute for Sustainable Humanosphere, and the Disaster Prevention Research Institute were approved by the Minister of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology as the Joint Usage / Research Center, and started their operations in 2010.
In October 2009
The Obaku Plaza was completed as facilities to function as research institutes for graduate students / foreign students / bench scientists, etc., as meeting rooms for holding an international conference, an academic meeting, etc., any time, and as a forum which makes it possible for community residents, society, and students to have active intercommunications.
In April 2010
・The Educational Unit for Adaption to Extreme Weather Conditions and a Resilient Society of the Center for the Promotion of Interdisciplinary Education and Research (H21 GCOE program adoption) started its operations.
・The Innovation Collaboration Center was integrated into the Office of Society-Academia Collaboration for Innovation (The Uji facility for science & engineering and agriculture field of study ended).
In July 2010
The Institute of Advanced Energy was approved by the Minister of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology as the Joint Usage / Research Center, and started its operations in 2011.
In March 2011
Earthquake-resistant repair work of the administration building was completed.
In April 2011
The Institute of Sustainability Science and the Pioneering Research Unit for Next Generation continued their operations as the Education and Research Units for Multiple Fields of the Center for Promotion of Interdisciplinary Education and Research.
In June 2011
Center for Advanced Science and Innovation,Uji campus,Kyoto University was established as a development center to promote the world-leading society-academia collaboration for innovation in the environment / energy field.
In April 2013
Unit of Synergetic Studies for Space moved to the Yoshida campus and continued their operations as the Education and Research Units for Multiple Fields of the Center for Promotion of Interdisciplinary Education and Research.

Uji Campus,Kyoto University